EXAMPLES FOR TAKING ACTION ON SALMONELLA CONTROL PROGRAMS
FSIS Notice 66-12, issued October 24, 2012, provides inspection program personnel with examples for when they are to take action should a facility substantially or temporarily alter their Salmonella control process without validation of the HACCP plan. These examples include
- Temporarily changing antimicrobials used in a poultry chiller only during a Salmonella/Campylobacter verification set, such as replacing chlorine with peroxyacetic acid (PAA).
- Substantially increasing levels of antimicrobials above normal operating parameters only during a Salmonella/Campylobacter verification set. This type of change includes increasing to the upper bounds of levels within a validated system if the establishment routinely operates at the lower bounds. For example, if the establishment’s validated range of chlorine in potable water measured at the chiller fresh water intake is 20-50 ppm, it routinely maintains a level of 20 ppm but increases the level to 50 ppm only during the set.
- Permanent replacement of systemic hyper-chlorinated water with non-chlorine-based antimicrobials since the last Salmonella/Campylobacter verification set without proper validation.
Examples of changes typically NOT covered by this notice include, but are not limited to:
- Replacing equipment that will be operated in the same manner as old equipment. For example, replacing one poultry immersion chiller with another without changing antimicrobial or product temperature parameters.
- Permanently adding or removing antimicrobials at various steps in the process if the changes have been properly reflected in the establishment’s food safety system with appropriate supporting documentation.
PHV are to inform the District Office through the supervisory chain when it is determined that confirmed temporary changes, modifications, or inconsistencies in an establishment’s production practices have been employed. PHV are also to submit information through askFSIS directly to the Salmonella and Campylobacter Coordination Group (SCCG) and to request the scheduling of an additional Salmonella/Campylobacter verification set for the establishment.
For a complete copy of this notice visit . http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FSISNotices/66-12.pdf.